Sunday, April 28, 2013

Tip of the Day #306: Cleaning Tarnished Jewelry

Line the bottom of a pan with aluminum foil. Set your jewelry on top of the aluminum foil. Make sure it actually touches the aluminum. Heat your water to boiling. Remove it from the heat and place it in your sink in a large bowl. Then, add about one cup of baking soda for each gallon of water. (If you need only half a gallon of water, use half a cup of baking soda.) The mixture will froth a bit and may spill over; this is why you put it in the sink.Pour the hot baking soda and water mixture into the pan with the jewelry item, and completely cover it. Almost immediately, the tarnish will begin to disappear. If the silver is only lightly tarnished, all of the tarnish will disappear within several minutes. If the silver is badly tarnished, you may need to reheat the baking soda and water mixture, and give the silver several treatments to remove all of the tarnish.

Remove and rinse completely and pat dry.

1 comment:

  1. I'm writing on this topic these days, , but I have stopped writing because there is no reference material. Then I accidentally found your article. I can refer to a variety of materials, so I think the work I was preparing will work! Thank you for your efforts. Feel free to visit my website;

    야설

    ReplyDelete